Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Curriculum

I am continually asked to suggest a curriculum for homeschool parents to use with their child. I know that I disappoint every time I aswer this question. I don't suggest a specific curriculum. You see, I don't know their child. There are quite a few good curriculum choices on the market, but not every one is best for every child and none of them are developed for an individual child. This is why I believe it is so important for a parent to understand the process of reading aquisition so that they can apply this process and the pieces to the process to any curriculum they choose. Then, if they find that a specific curriculum doesn't work with their child, pick another one. One of the main factors of a reading curriculum is whether or not the reading text in the curriculum interests and motivates their child. Instead of a curriculum calling the instructional shots, it is my hope that the parent as teacher will call the instructional shots and use the curriculum as a support!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment